Even a new boiler won’t last forever. Faults can occur at any time, and they can put lives in danger, so here are some of the faulty boiler warning signs.
If you have to reset your boiler frequently, there may be a problem. Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because this deadly gas is colourless and odourless. A faulty boiler can release it into your home. Boilers need frequent Gas Safe engineer servicing and repairs to keep them working safely.
If your engineer recommends that you get a new boiler then consider their advice carefully. Stop using your boiler, and if you are unsure, you can get a second opinion. Act quickly, however, as your boiler may be a hazard in your home.
If your home isn’t getting as warm as it used to, it’s a clear indication that you’re not getting the full benefits of your heating. A boiler that runs efficiently doesn’t waste energy or cost too much in high heating bills. Also, if your hot water is running cooler than you’d like, it could be a sign that you need a Gas Safe registered engineer to check your system.
Check for any dark marks around your boiler. If the boiler burning function is faulty, it deposits dark marks and can cause a strange smell too. Get a Gas Safe registered engineer as soon as possible to check for carbon monoxide leakage.
If the boiler pump isn’t running correctly or the fan is old, it can cause problems. Regular servicing by a qualified engineer will pick up any concerns.
If your carbon monoxide detector beeps while your boiler is on, check the battery indicator. You can also ring the National Gas Emergency Helpline who will be able to offer advice and assist.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, or loss of consciousness. If you suspect anyone in your house has inhaled carbon monoxide, get fresh air immediately. Turn off all appliances and leave the house.
Ring the National Gas Emergency Helpline if you think you are in danger. Seek medical attention from your GP, walk-in centre or hospital as soon as possible. Let a medical professional know if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.