Around a quarter of house fires are caused by electrical failure

Many people are surprised to learn that approximately 25% of house fires are caused by electrical failure. These fires are often the result of old electrical installations and loose wiring. These can cause burning which in turn can make a fire break out.

Why might an electrical fire break out?

It’s possible for people to avoid fires after noticing burning smells and taking appropriate action. However, if you are not alerted to a problem like this, it’s easy to see how a fire could easily break out. Some wiring may be hidden in a part of your home that you don’t normally enter, such as a loft. You may also be at risk of an electrical fire if you have noticed frequent electrical tripping. If tripping has occurred on a regular basis recently, it’s best to contact a professional electrician who can get to the root of the problem.

The dangers of ageing installations

Ageing electrical installations have been linked to many fires. Old electrical installations are much less likely to cope with the loads required by modern appliances and devices. If you only have a few plug sockets in your room, you may be tempted to plug several devices and appliances into an extension cable plugged into one socket. However, this can be very risky as it can mean exceeding the current load that your socket can carry. If you do overload a socket, the plug in the socket can overheat. This can cause burning and result in fires. If you are worried about overloading a socket, you can use an online socket overload calculator which will tell you which appliances can safely run in a socket at any one time.

Who can help me prevent an electrical fire?

If you are worried about electrical fires in the south east and need advice and assistance to keep you safe, Ability can help. We have a great deal of experience when it comes to dealing with problems like circuit tripping, poor wiring and overloaded sockets. We can come and visit your property at a time that suits you to look at the condition of your electrical systems including your wiring and provide detailed advice on the best action to take. If you do need to make changes to your electrical systems, it’s essential to leave these tasks to the professionals. Taking action yourself can be very dangerous and put you and your household at risk.

Contact Ability

At Ability, we are here to assist you if you need help with fire safety and maintaining your electrical systems in the south east. You can reach us today by giving us a call on 01892 514495 or by sending an email to Another way to get in touch is to complete the form on our website. We will get back to you as quickly as we possibly can so you can swiftly get all the help and advice that you require.

Recommended Posts