Raising Carbon Monoxide Safety Awareness at Festivals

Ability provides heating, plumbing and electrical services in the Kent, West and East Sussex areas. The majority of us are aware of carbon monoxide safety within our homes and many of us have detectors. Of course, if readings become high companies such as ourselves are called in to rectify the problem, however, this tends not to be the case when having a bbq or attending a festival.

Festival organisers are being encouraged to raise awareness of the risk of CO poisoning. The All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) have held discussions in parliament.

BBQ in open spaces

It is very easy to have a carefree attitude when attending festivals whilst the priority is to have fun, we do need to be aware of the risk of exposure to carbon monoxide.

BBQs should not be used in confined places such as tents. Manufacturers of BBQs will be asked to flag this warning on the packaging.

Staff working at the festivals should be trained to raise awareness of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and intervene if somebody is acting recklessly.

Some of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide are: dull headaches, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness and loss of consciousness these can all, of course, be signs of someone being intoxicated so staff should be trained to be vigilant. CO poisoning is particularly dangerous therefore for people who are intoxicated or asleep as these symptoms could easily be mistaken for something else.

Carbon Monoxide Safety Awareness

It has also been suggested that awareness should be raised on social media, mobile phone advertising, festival apps, promotional material and bands playing at the festival. They have also suggested that leading representatives from festival organisers, carbon monoxide campaign groups and gas industry should also get involved.

If you require assistance from Ability please call on 01892 514495 or email info@ability.uk.com

Share this story!