Carbon Monoxide Safety In Your Home

Our engineers at Ability are Gas Safe registered, and we want to raise awareness of the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector in the home. With our busy lives, it is something that is easily overlooked but could be life-saving.

Unsafe gas appliances can produce carbon monoxide which is highly poisonous. It is produced when natural gas or liquified petroleum gas fails to be completely burned.  Poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in the bloodstream.

carbon monoxide

Nearly half of homes in the UK do not currently have a CO alarm in their home which means that more than 12 million householders are at risk of CO poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide is an odourless and colourless substance meaning it can remain undetected without a CO alarm.  Ability is always happy to assist with any queries regarding CO alarms, only last week in Sevenoaks we assisted with the fitting of one.  The engineer left knowing that the family would now be kept safe and alerted should there be a leak.

Here at Ability, our installers are trained to educate about CO safety.  Just because a customer has a new boiler or gas appliance fitted and they have these appliances regularly serviced, does not eliminate the danger of carbon monoxide escaping.

carbon monoxide

Although this will reduce the risk, it does not eliminate it as boilers can break down or the flues become blocked at any time between service dates. So while customers may feel they don’t need a CO alarm – ultimately they’ve just had a brand new boiler installed so nothing should go wrong –  installers must help householders prepare for every eventuality.

Ability provides plumbing, heating and electrical assistance throughout Kent, West and East Sussex, please give us a call on 01892 514495 or email info@ability.uk.com if we can help.

Share this story!