Coal Effect Gas Fire and the Emergency Call

We received a call yesterday evening from a regular customer of ours, who lives in East Sussex, in a panic.  She was an elderly lady with an open inglenook fireplace and a coal effect gas fire, supplied, fitted and maintained by Ability over the years.  A bird had come down the chimney and was flying around in her lounge. 

The coal effect gas fire was not in use at the time and so the bird was able to fly into the lounge and was frantically flapping about, of course very disorientated and wanting to get back into the open air. When our engineer arrived, our customer was in a bit of a panic and so it was suggested she remain in the kitchen, while our gas engineer isolated the fire and remove the bird and release it back into its natural environment.

coal effect gas fire

The bird was quite distressed, so our engineer opened the French patio doors to the outside garden, after making the coal effect gas fire safe.  The bird seemed to calm down once human life was no longer present and the engineer took control of the situation.

The Free Bird and the Coal Effect Gas Fire

Ability’s engineer found a cane in the garden and gently enticed the bird onto the stick, with a gentle conversation and spiritual chant. Once a zoo keeper’s assistant, our engineer had a general knowledge of animals as well as qualifications in working with the coal effect gas fire.

The bird once free from the stress and upset of its experience gave a little look of gratitude and flew off back to its nest with minor upset and no harm done.

coal effect gas fire

The coal effect gas fire has now been reinstated and the chimney checked and tested for safety of performance and efficiency.  A new bird guard cowl has been fitted at the terminal of the chimney pot. Our customer is happy and safe in the knowledge that the fire is now back in use and the situation has been resolved.

If you live in the Kent, and Sussex area and would like plumbing or heating or any other gas work then please call Ability today……

Share this story!